July 15, 2011
It was more than a little fun at a “little” horse show in Georgia last week.
At more than 15,100 AQHA entries (unofficial), the Georgia Quarter Horse Association’s back-to-back 2011 Stars and Stripes and Big A Circuits made a splash in the AQHA show scene.
What makes the show so popular? The combination of strong entry numbers (AQHA pointed classes), lots of places to ride or longe, covered arenas to show in that beat the heat and a good atmosphere full of Southern hospitality.
The circuits ran July 1-11 at the Georgia International Horse Park in Conyers (home of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics equestrian events). Here are some fun facts about the show:
- Exhibitors came from 45 states and nine provinces; there were 28 trade show vendors
- “Good Day Atlanta,” local Fox News affiliate morning show came to the Big A Circuit to do a live broadcast. Watch the segment! Show anchor, Gundvir Dhinsa owns a few American Quarter Horses herself.
- The Painted Pony Show is a mid-circuit highlight. Youth of all ages decorate their own wooden stick horses and compete with them in barrels and over a fence course, aiming to win a new bike!
- Free clinics were given by AQHA Professional Horsemen Robin Frid and Lynn Palm as well as Tim “The Trail Man” Kimura, official trail course designer for the AQHA World Championship Show.
- All-around saddle winners were not the all-around winners!?! Instead, a random placing was drawn in each division to see which final all-around placing would win a Blue Ribbon western saddle or a Marcel Toulouse English saddle.
- For both circuits, all first place winners received a raffle ticket to go in a bucket. At the end of both circuits a name was drawn to win a two-horse bumper pull Exciss trailer from Exiss and North Georgia Trailer Sales.
Hey, all you Journal subscribers – watch for the full show coverage and show strategy analysis in the August Journal Plus (the Journal’s new digital supplement to the print magazine).
Watch the Journal slide show! (Click on the image for the captions).
[flickr 28429325@N03 72157627075990717]
Editor – general, rail & pattern, halter, health, breeding
The American Quarter Horse Journal is your one-stop source for everything Quarter Horse, worldwide. When you want to tell the world, you tell it in the Journal.