May 10, 2013
In celebration of Mother’s Day, May 12, let’s honor some prolific mares of our industry.
Most people can agree that great mothers leave an impression that will last a lifetime and that a mother’s words of wisdom will forever play a role in your conscience. The same can be said for the broodmares in the Quarter Horse industry. We’re thankful to broodmares for creating the great breed of horses that we know today, passing on their disposition, athletic ability and talent to their offspring.
As rancher Jim Hunt has said, “A lot of old-timers, the horse breeders with wisdom, they’ll say that a mare is 75 percent of what you get as far as the offspring.”
Credit should be given where credit is due, and all American Quarter Horse broodmares deserve proper recognition.
In honor of Mother’s Day and all the fantastic broodmares of the past and present, we created a short quiz to test your knowledge of famous broodmares! Test yourself and see if you know all about the influential broodmares of AQHA, or if you should spend a little more time reading up on bloodlines.
Good Luck! (Scroll to the bottom for the answers.)
- This mare is the dam of Shiners Lena Doc, A Shiner Named Sioux and Shiney Sushi. A Shiner Named Sioux was AQHA’s 2011 junior working cow horse world champion and 2010 junior reining world champion. Shiney Sushi was the 2012 National Reined Cow Horse Association open bridle world champion.
- This mare holds the No. 8 spot on the National Reining Horse Association dams
list. Some of her successful offspring include Whizkey N Diamonds and Cromed Out Mercedes
- This mare has proven herself in the show ring and breeding barn. She is an AQHA Superhorse and the dam of Nic It In The Bud, Dun It Big and Lights R Red, just to name a few.
- This mystery dam holds the No. 4 spot on the National Cutting Horse Association dams list. She is the dam of Dual Smart Rey, WR This Cats Smart, One Smart Lookin Cat and Smart Lookin Hi Brow.
- This mare holds the coveted No. 1 spot on the NRCHA dams list. She is
the dam of Smart Time Tuck, Tuckers Smart Cat, Lil Time To Smoke, She Smokes Smart and Smart Tucker Smoke. (Hint: Journal Subscribers, you read about this mare in the April 2012 issue of The American Quarter Horse Journal!)
How did you fare?
1-2 correct: Maybe you should consider checking out the records section on AQHA.com or catching up with the latest American Quarter Horse Journal.
3-4 correct: Good job! You know enough to recognize some of the most influential broodmares of today.
All 5 correct: You are a complete whiz! It’s evident that you recognize the importance of these outstanding mothers in the Quarter Horse industry.
We know you’re dedicated to taking care of those special mamas in your barn. AQHA’s Mare Care: Breeding Tips free report will guide you through the processes of preparing your mare, targeting a breeding date, ordering semen, inducing a follicle to ovulate, receiving and evaluating semen and much more.