Horse Trailer Loading Tips
Training for the trailer requires time and patience.
It’s easy to lose your temper when teaching a horse to load in a trailer. Unfortunately, getting impatient is the worst thing you can do.
The late Bill Van Norman insists that you need to take your time and keep your temper when teaching your horse to trailer load.
Bill offers his valuable advice in AQHA’s FREE report, Horse Trailer Loading Tips.
To begin training your horse to trailer load, Bill suggests these tips:
- Send your horse in a circle around you directly behind the open trailer.
- Use a lead rope, not a longe line, so you can keep your horse fairly close to you.
- If your horse wants to stop and smell the trailer or look inside, encourage this behavior and recognize it as a sign that he’s trying.
- When his attention fades off the trailer, ask your horse to move out again and continue circling you.
- Circle in both directions behind the trailer to help him become comfortable with being worked from either side.
Get the full story in Horse Trailer Loading Tips – it’s FREE!