Use these tips to make your foal a part of the world’s largest breed registry.
Everyone loves American Quarter Horse babies.
But it takes a lot more than a sire and dam to get a foal registration in the works. One of our most frequently asked questions by AQHA members is, ‘How do I register my foal?’
Every year, AQHA mails out a pre-printed registration application (also called a breeder’s certificate) to every stallion owner who files a stallion breeding report. This application will contain pertinent information such as the sire and dam’s information, mare and stallion owner’s name and address and the breeding dates. It’s up to you, the proud owner of a new foal, to fill in the rest.
But what if you don’t have your pre-printed application? AQHA has a blank registration application available for download. This is the same form, but you have to fill in all the information that would come ready for you in the pre-printed version.
Now you need to ask yourself a few questions:
- Is my name choice available?
- Does my foal need to be parentage verified or HYPP tested?
- Do I have the proper markings or photos of the foal?
- Do I have all the signatures I need to get my foal registered?
Once you have all of these basic things covered, you can ship it off to AQHA with the peace of mind that it will probably go off without a hitch!
You need to be an AQHA member to register your foal. AQHA membership comes with hundreds of dollars in savings each year, plus the America’s Horse magazine, free records, access to AQHA programs and events and much more. Join AQHA or renew your membership today!
If an AQHA foal registration isn’t something you do every day, it can get a little confusing. And there are a lot of scenarios that can come into play when registering your foal. Not all registrations are the same, and depending on several factors, there are some additional things you may need to do.
AQHA Customer Service is available via phone and email to conduct any necessary research for you. If you’re missing a signature or other pertinent information, submit your application anyway, and AQHA will attempt to contact the appropriate people for you to acquire the necessary information.
Read up on AQHA registration rules in the AQHA Official Handbook of Rules and Regulations.
If you’re interested in cheaper fees and quicker processing – here is a quick list of the information you will need to register your foal online. Make sure you have created an account and have linked your membership # and AQHA PIN. Click on Registration in member services to begin!
- Link your membership as the owner of the dam at time of foaling or owner of the foal at time of breeding if this is an embryo foal.
- Date foaled
- Breeding method, including embryo transfer date & number, if applicable
- You can still register a foal without a stallion breeding report filed, simply click on create new breeding report to enter the dates your mare was bred.
- Dam’s name and/or registration number and the name and/or registration of the stallion she was bred to
- Five photos will be required for online registration. You can also scan the markings diagram if photos aren’t feasible for any reason
- Foal name choices. Learn how to research name choices
- Signed Breeder’s Certificate from the stallion owner, unless the stallion owner released the breeding online
- For transfers included with online registration: date of sale and buyer’s information (name, AQHA ID number, address, phone number and email address)
Once all the information is entered, add it to your shopping cart and enter your payment method to process the registration.